Sunday, May 17, 2009

Diet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

During my pregnancy with Siena I was constantly eating Grilled Turkey, Pesto and Cheese sandwiches. I had to figure out a way to cut the calories without losing the amazing taste. I ended up creating a toasted turkey with laughing cow light cheese and pesto. It is so good and very low in calories compared to its counterpart.

All you need is:

1 slice sourdough bread
1 light laughing cow swiss cheese wedge or two if you'd like
pesto
smoked turkey (Boar's head hickory smoked is the best, I get it at the Holiday Market)
salt and pepper

Toast the bread in the toaster
layer with pesto, cheese, and turkey
top with salt and pepper

It's an open faced sandwich of extreme goodness

If you don't know how to make pesto, here my recipe:

1 box organic basil (I get it a TJ's and it comes in a box, probably about a bunch to a bunch and a half)
pine nuts (i buy in bulk at Winco)
Parmesan cheese - I prefer it to be fresh and shaved rather than the grated powdery stuff
garlic cloves
Kosher salt
Olive oil

Add what ever amount of each you want with the basil. I don't have exact measurements because I eyeball it. If I had to guess I would say it is probably 1/2 c. pine nuts, 3/4 cheese, 3-4 garlic cloves, salt to taste.

Ok so I start by adding in the Cuisinart the pine nuts, garlic, cheese, salt and basil. Turn on and add oil from the top hole. Add oil until it looks like pesto! Always stop on the chunkier side and then add more oil till it gets smooth. You don't want to over add oil because you can't take it out.

3 comments:

  1. sounds so good! I use to buy that basil at TJ's and it was such a good deal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing aimee. I make my own pesto too and freeze it in stick shaped ice cube trays. 2 sticks works for a pot of pasta!

    ReplyDelete